Thursday, March 25, 2004

Wild Life 

Gill, Caelan and I drove down to Cottesloe beach for a swim Sunday morning. Later that day a shark was spotted. Very hot in Perth over the weekend... temperatures in the high 30s and low 40s Celsius. The water was surprisingly cool in comparison to the heat.

Saw Along Came Polly for five dollars at the Piccadilly on Monday morning. A Monday-morning-during-a-heatwave kind of film, at least if you've already shopped and eaten breakfast. The highlight was the noise of the curtain being raised - I'd definitely pay five bucks to hear that again but then maybe that clues you in as to why the movie didn't grab me as much as it did some of the other patrons.

Bought Boot The Nimrod Flip-Out by Etger Keret for his birthday, although I think it's Mum that's reading it. Strange and short Israeli short stories. I've also borrowed Benang: from the heart by Kim Scott from a member of the writer's group. The person I borrowed it from decided that it was too difficult to keep track of the family connections in the novel. Seeing as how it traces connections in a family in which not all connections are acknowledged or even known, while others are forcibly broken, I guess that's the point. The novel is fiction partly based on fact and so far I'm enjoying both the author's style, the West Australian setting and the way the story reveals a little piece of a genealogical puzzle out of chronological order. Somehow this makes it easier to relate to the characters, and keeps me wondering about the more immediate ancestors of the protagonist.

Bought a friend a saucepan on Saturday (just changing the subject). I may have startled a Myer employee by asking for the pot section - it was down a level from homeware and behind the towels. I even bought pyjamas so that I can sit on our front verandah and eat brekky without having to get too tizzed up. Spent I-don't-know-how long trying to figure out how to follow the instructions on the digital photo labs touchscreen. Luckily the arcade in which I was standing wasn't busy and no one else needed to order digital photo prints. I wish this demonstrated great stick-to-it-iveness and independence on my part.

A kangaroo and joey are coming into Doonbanks each dawn and dusk.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger.