Sunday, May 16, 2004

Growing Up 

Caelan is way into pirates now that he's five. I thought he'd had a little too much rum as we crossed a street on the weekend. Then I looked down to see he was using his telescope with the eye not covered by a patch. Gill and I filled twenty bags with Freddos and other chockies for Caelan's party. I'm so old I didn't even feel like pinching one for myself.

I've just finished reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon. The novel is narrated by a teenage boy who is brilliant at maths but can't read people's facial expressions. I'm worried I liked his prime-numbered chapters a little too much.

On Tuesday I attended a book group. I'm now reading a trilogy of books collectively called My Story by Dave Pelzer. The books are about Pelzer's life. Reading about one particular incident of child abuse I had to stop. I didn't want to pass out.

I've also caught up with Col's Chalkintalk blog. I'm now seeing my academic performance from the eyes of a teacher. Hello. I didn't even ask questions about marks or bother with excuses. I do remember a lecture on the circulatory system that didn't get the blood pumping. Not even enough to keep most heads off the desks. And I remember us practising exaggerated pronunciations of "Weber" but I can't remember Weber's Law (see Weber-Fechner Law at Wikipedia if you're curious).

A few days ago an eighteen-year-old Sydneysider called Benjamin Solah wrote to let me know about his Writing Corner. Benjamin gives, shall we say, a taste of more to come with one untitled short story about a guy who ducks into Maccas for the only reason that I ever do - to use the toilet - and still gets a raw deal. Not a lot of writing here yet but I've listed the site on my writing links page.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger.