Thursday, June 24, 2004

Don't Dream It, Just Eat It 

McDonalds' salads are given positive mentions by some of the AFL players presenting McDonalds-sponsored motivational talks to high school students. The program is called 'Do It, Don't Dream It' and involves ten AFL stars who visit government and private schools in Victoria. See The Age article 'AFL players promote McDonald's in schools' (June 24, 2004) for more details.

Thinking back, I don't think having the team of yoyoers visit my school influenced me to think more positively about Coke or Fanta. Watching eskies full of Coke drop out of the sky and into the ocean right beside a fantastic inflated pontoon probably did. I think faced with Spider Everitt and a few McDonalds logos, I think I'd be more inclined to remember the footballer's one-off appearance over just another yellow M on red.

Not all students are going to be impressed or inspired by footy players. Some students are likely to be far less than impressed. McDonalds' association with AFL players might not be as positive as people expect.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger.