Saturday, June 19, 2004

In His Element 

I like the title with subtitle of Chris Heilman's blog p e r i o d i c postings about the periodic table. The blog accompanies The Pictorial Periodic Table. I'm re-acquainting myself with the elements one at a time.

Most entries in the pictorial include photos and some historical information, as well as all the figures. Some descriptions assume more knowledge than I have, for example "There is, of course, no astatine in our lab. Discovered by Corson, etal., in 1940." But why not? I thought. Because it's radioactive, there's only about 28g in the earth's crust, and it can only be produced in a nuclear reactor. Very rare and very unstable. Shy too, is my guess.
You can read more about Astatine (At) at Wikipedia.

How did I come to be reading a blog about the periodic table of elements? The Writers Free Reference by Charley Brindley linked to it. And now I link to the Writers Free Reference on my writing links page.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger.