Thursday, February 24, 2005

Pack Up Your Troubles 

In primary school we learnt 'It's a Long Way to Tipperary' and sang it at the permanent care ward of our local hospital. At Villa Cafe today (which is open for an hour on Tuesday mornings and an hour and a half on Thursday arvos at my Nanna's nursing home), a man in a black shirt and sneakers played music on an organ - including 'It's a Long Way to Tipperary.' Almost a generation of oldies since my primary school days and this song is still popular. One lady clapped her hands and others started to sing along. I started to wonder when the music will need to change for the next generation (actually, not a fun thought) and what they'll choose. Then I thought - maybe if generations of children learn 'It's A Long Way To Tipperary' (and it looks as if they are) so that they can entertain people in nursing homes, maybe it'll be one of the few songs we'll all have in common. Fifty years from now somebody might be singing it to me and I'll be able to sing along! Obviously I won't be reminiscing about the first World War. I do hope I'll be somewhere that serves cappucino and fresh lamingtons, if not happily living at home.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger.