Sunday, August 07, 2005

Take Me As You Please 

Everytime I hear Dr Phil tell someone how his own life is workin' for him, I can't help but imagine it falling apart. A personal life in the public eye - kinda risky isn't it? Especially if you take on the role of 'good example.'

Both West Coast Eagle Chris Judd and model Megan Gale were reported in The West last week as not wanting to be seen as role models. I think it's hard enough to do what you think is right for yourself, without needing to consider thousands of unknown fans. Or without expecting to influence them.

I do admire people that can write honestly and publicly about their personal situations. Writing honestly may lead to more honest discussion. It reminds us that we're not alone and it reminds us that not everyone lives as we do. But today I wondered why Liz Jones told us so much in 'I think we need to talk ...' (The Guardian, 6 August 2005). She's wondering too:


Why do I write about my life? I had never meant to. My column started out as a lighthearted look at single life in London, with all its rituals, dating fiascos and beauty treatments. I didn't know it was going to become a dissection of our relationship as it disintegrated over time. Once I started, it was hard to stop. The worst part, or the best part, I don't know, is that having a weekly deadline crystallises things; I will often force an issue, push him for an answer, because I have a deadline.


Yikes. It can happen that easily. Writers/bloggers beware.

And prepare for book deals! Liz Jones' Diary: How One Single Girl Got Married comes out in September. If the article's representative of the book, I can't imagine a more frustrating, disempowering read. Already I'm thinking You told him what?! How did he take it? Oh no, how awful! and Have you taken a look at yourself?

Nasty of me, I feel, and a little hypocritical. But there it is for everyone to comment upon.

P.S. Jones mentions that she wore a 'cream made-to-measure Robinson Valentine trouser suit' to her wedding. I thought I had few expectations of how I might like to be wed - turns out I'm not keen on doing it while wearing anything with legs. If I change my mind, I hope you don't read about it here.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger.