Monday, July 03, 2006

Ethically Repugnant 

Federal Treasurer Peter Costello is quoted in The Age today as saying:


"The biggest funder of medical research is the Commonwealth. The Commonwealth would not fund research which it thought was ethically repugnant."
'Canberra to resist stem cell moves', 3 July 2006.


I'm not sure where I stand on much of the scientific research that will potentially lead to treatments or therapies for retinitis pigmentosa. I'm aware that animals are bred to have various forms of the disease, in order that we may experiment. I know that many people are dealing with more than one disability, or with a disability that affects the whole body, or with a disability that inflicts pain. I'm uncomfortable with this knowledge. And I'm angry that research that could help people with disabilities is deemed by the government as "ethically repugnant."

Thank you very much.

Yeah, I've been blogging at RetGen and staying neutral about the Victorian government wanting to legalise therapeutic cloning despite the Commonwealth's queasiness.

Comments:
Hmmm, I wonder if we convinced him that the government was ethically repugnant he'd stop funding that too.
 
I don't know Skribe, I'd say he finds funding the government has more than a little ethical appeal. But it shouldn't be too hard, right?
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger.